MODEL QUESTION PAPER – I
Answer all questions. Each question carries 2 marks.1. Distinguish between addition and condensation polymerization.
2. Write short note on vulcanization of rubber.
3. What are BOD and COD?
4. Mention the important units of hardness.
5. What is scale? Give its two disadvantages.
6. Outline the functions of drying oils in paint.
7. What is sacrificial anode protection?
8. Illustrate the formation of Helmholtz electrical double layer.
9. What are carbon nanotubes?
10. Explain briefly the classification of refractories with example.
11. (a) Explain the different types of moulding techniques.
(b) Describe the principle, instrumentation and applications of gas chromatography?
12. (a) Explain the thermogravimetric analysis and its applications with an example.
(b) Explain the principle instrumentation and applications of IR spectrum.
13. (a) Explain the important factors affecting the rate corrosion.
(b) Explain the following
(i) Anodising (ii) Galvanising (ii) Pilling and Bedworth rule.
14. (a) How will you determine the PH of a solution, using Glass electrode. Find out the PH of a solution in a hydrogen electrode half cell, which is coupled with a saturated calomel electrode. The emf of the combined cell was determined to be 0.523V at 250C.
(b) Construction, working and applications of (i) Lithium ion cell. (ii) H2-O2 fuel cell.
15. (a) What are the sources of air pollution and how it can be controlled.
(b) Briefly describe the estimation of hardness of water by EDTA method.
16. (a) Explain the ion exchange method for water softening.
(b) Explain the different steps involved in municipal water treatment.
17, (a). Distinguish between LCV and HCV. How will you determine the calorific value of solid fuels by Bomb calorimeter?
(b) Give the various steps involved in the manufacture of Portland cement.
18. (a) (i) What is octane number and cetane number (ii) Explain setting and hardening of cement.
(b) What are refractories? Explain what refractoriness is. Describe the manufacture of silica bricks.