FLUID MECHANICS-II I S4 KTU
PART A (Answer All Questions, 4 x 1 = 4 Marks)
1. List out the geometric elements of channel sections.
2. Write down any one conditions for efficient rectangular , triangular and circular channel sections.
3. Draw the specific energy and specific force curves.
4. What is meant by :
a) Critical depth
PART B (Answer All Questions, 3 x 2 = 6 Marks)
5. Which are the types of flow in open channels
6. Write down the fundamental equations for uniform flow computations.
7. What is meant by specific energy and specific force.
PART C (Answer Any Two Questions, 2 x 5 = 10 Marks)
8. Compare the open channel flow and the pipe flow. 9. A trapezoidal channel has side slopes of 3 horizontal to 4 vertical and the slope of its beds is 1 in 2000.
Determine the optimum dimensions ( or most economical dimensions )of the channel, if it is to carry water at 0.5m3/s. Take Chezy ’s constant as 80. 10.
Derive the condition for maximum velocity through circular channels.
11. A trapezoidal channel having bottom width 6m and side slopes of 2 horizontal to 1 vertical.
If the depth of flow is 1.2m at a discharge of 10m3/s. Compute the specific energy and the critical depth.