MODEL QUESTION PAPER
METALLURGY AND MATERIAL SCIENCE
Answer all questions
1. What are the different types of point defects in solids?
2. Draw cooling curve of a pure metal.
3. State Fick’s I law.
4. What are the two types of solid solutions?
5. What is an invariant reaction?
6. Which are the softest and hardest microconstituents in Fe-C alloy system?
7. What is martempering?
8. What is meant by duplex steels?
9. List few applications of Magnesium alloys.
10. What is a composite? (10x2= 20 marks)
11. a) Explain specimen preparation techniques for microscopic examination. (12 marks)
b) What is strain hardening? How it is relieved? (8 marks)
12. a) Explain the two types of dislocations with neat sketches. (12 marks)
b) Explain Schmid’s law (8 marks)
13. a) Draw the Pb-Sn phase diagram and explain the development of microstructure for an alloy of 25% Sn and 75%Pb. (15 marks)
b)Write down the Hume – Rothery rules for solid solutions. (5 marks)
14. a) State lever rule. Explain with an example. (10 marks)
b) Explain the Griffith’s theory of brittle fracture (10 marks)
15. a) Explain hardening of low carbon and medium carbon steel with reference to their TTT diagrams. (10 marks)
b) Explain the processes of CVD and PVD (10 marks)
16. a) Draw the Fe-Fe3C phase diagram, mark the different phase fields and explain the three invariant reactions involved. (15 marks)
b) What is hardenability? How it is assessed? (5 marks)
17. (a) Write short note on Gray cast iron, SG iron, Malleable iron and white iron. (12 marks)
(b) Explain the stir casting process used for manufacturing metal matrix composites (8 marks)
18. (a) Write in detail about properties and applications of any two copper alloys. (10 marks)
(b) Write short notes on Nano materials and Smart materials. (10 marks)
(4x20= 80 marks)