1. Define void ratio
2. What is the value of ‘percentage air voids’ when the soil is fully saturated?
3. What is the range of air content?
4. For a soil, it is given that the void ratio, e=0.32. Then find the value of porosity
5. Explain briefly the term thixotrophy
6. What is meant by sensitivity of soil?
7. List the major soil deposits in India
PART C (Answer Any Two Questions, 2 x 5 = 10 Marks)
8. Derive the relationship between dry density of the soil, specific gravity of the soil, void ratio of the soil and density of water
9. The mass of moist soil is 25 kg and its volume is 0.010 m3. After drying in an oven the mass reduces to 16.3 kg.
Determine the water content, the density of moist soil, the dry density, void ratio, porosity and degree of saturation. Take specific gravity, G=2.65
10. A sample of clay is coated with paraffin wax and its mass including the mass of wax was found to be 696 gm. The sample was immersed in water and the volume of water displaced was found to be 350 ml.
The mass of sample without wax was 689 gm and the water content of the representative specimen was 17.5 %. Determine the bulk density, dry density, void ratio and the degree of saturation. The specific gravity of the solid was 2.69 and that of the wax was 0.88.
11. Explain briefly the procedure for dry sieve analysis.