1. What is the function of damper winding in synchronous machines?
2. Define an integral slot winding.
3. What are the advantages of short chorded windings in an alternator?
4. What are the causes of harmonics in voltage waveform of alternator ?
5. What are the advantages of fractional slot windings in a synchronous machine?
6. Explain why a stationary armature type of construction is adopted for alternators?
7. What is the necessity of two reaction theory in alternator ?
8. Differentiate the constructional features of salient pole rotor and cylindrical rotor.
9. Derive the emf equation of an alternator from fundamentals. What are breadth and pitch factors?
10. A 3Φ, 16 pole alternator has star connected winding with 144 slots and 10 conductors per slots. Winding is short chorded by 2 slot pitch.
The flux per pole is 0.03Wb sinusoidally distributed and the speed is 375 rpm. Find the frequency, phase and line voltages.
11. An 8 pole, 3Φ,600 spread double layer winding has 72 coils in 72 slots. The coils are short pitched by two slots. Calculate the winding factor for fundamental and 3rd harmonic.